Another JUICY Math Pack AND My Teacher Story Linky Party!

I have still been super busy creating some awesome math stuff. CAN'T. STOP! I just created this HUGEEE 5th Grade Common Core Measurement and Data Homework Printable Problems Pack that consists of over 40 pages with over 100 problems. Most problems are word problems, and I've included  charts, graphs and line plots that are embedded in the majority of the problems as well. I am SO pumped about this packet, it is going to be awesome for morning work, homework and assessments! Click HERE or the picture to grab a copy! I plan to give a HUGE post tomorrow about how I use Accelerated Reader in my room tomorrow- so stay tuned!!



I am also linking up with the AWESOME Janaye from Frogs and Cupcakes. She is having a fun linky party about your "teacher story". Head on over to link up!!!

I shall save you the information on little baby Miss Nannini and my dreams of becoming a teacher... because I had one two crazy first years I can tell you about instead. My first year out of college and job searching was so heart breaking {at first}. I live in Michigan where the jobs are SO scarce and teaching jobs are pretty much non-existent. It was August, I had been on about 10 interviews for the most random positions (maybe 3 were actual classroom teaching jobs). I was convinced I would have to become a sub and just keep trying to build my networks and connections. It was when I was losing all hope, on a Saturday (so random) that I received a call from a principal of an elementary school that had received my resume and wanted to interview me that day. SATURDAY? SURE!! This was now 1 week before school was set to start. So, I went in that afternoon, and found out it was for 5th grade. At that time I was on my way to earn my early childhood and special education certifications. I had ZERO experience in 5th. I went in, did the interview, and as I was walking out she called me and wanted me to come back and teach a lesson. No prep, no time to even think. I ran around my house like a crazy person collecting what I could to teach a lesson. I went in an hour later, taught the lesson to her three kids, and got the job. SO incredible. Only catch- I had missed all of the professional development days and back to school meetings and had 4 days to shop, set up, create, move in and start teaching 5th grade. It was CRAZY.

Going into my second year I was pink slipped and technically had no job as of August. I was called in late August to take a special education office/administration position (yes- 2nd year teacher in administration- absurd!). I of course was grateful for a job, but my heart was in the classroom. The district knew this, but still had me stay in special education. School started and 3 days into the school year I was still doing the job in special education. On day 4 of school I was notified that a school in the district was going to open up another section of 5th grade (4 days after school started) and they wanted to move me into that 5th grade position. OH MY GOODNESS!!! I thought my first year was rough having only 4 days to set up, how about NEGATIVE 4 DAYS!!! School started 4 days ago!!!! I was given one afternoon to set up. The worst part of it all- the school had to take about 5 students out of the other four 5th grade classes to "make" my class up. Those poor kids were ripped out of their classrooms and put into my room.

It was by far the toughest experience I ever had to go through, but of course a wonderful one. It was hard having to start off on such a negative foot vs. a positive foot. I really had to fight hard for my kids' respect and love, and the parents' respect and love.

So, I had a crazy start. I wouldn't change any of that for the world though! Everything happens for a reason- who knows maybe it was to prepare me. Perhaps I am going to have an even crazier start of the year coming my way again soon???! ;) Let's hope not!!!!!
◄ Newer Post Older Post ►
 

Copyright 2011 Young Teacher Love is proudly powered by blogger.com