Understanding Close Reading: Part 1 - What is Close Reading?

I'm back for my next installment on close reading!



I am so excited to FINALLY share what I have been working so hard on. A few weeks back, I asked my Facebook followers to rate their understanding and knowledge of close reading. I was shocked to learn that so many teachers didn't really know much about it (me being one of them). How can we be required to implement things in our classroom if we don't have the proper training and knowledge?

So, I decided to roll up my sleeves and sort through all of this information and research to help you all better understand close reading. I will be providing you with an informational blog series on the WHAT and HOW of close reading.


Like my last informational blog series, I will be blogging about this topic over the course of a few posts. At the very end, I will compile all of the slides into a free PDF for you. 

The first part of this blog series is understanding WHAT close reading is.




As you can see, I broke the definition of close reading into three key parts:

1.) Purposeful re-reading
2.) Analysis
3.) Use of complex texts

In an effort to avoid information overload, this blog post will focus on Purposeful re-reading and Analysis. I will address the Use of complex texts in my next post. Click HERE to read the post on Use of complex texts.











The document above is included in each one of my close reading packs, but I typically make this into an anchor chart for students to reference. Not only does it help me stay organized, but it also helps students understand the purpose of each read in connection with the standards.







Stay tuned to the last part of WHAT is close reading: use of complex text.


Click HERE or the picture below to check out the second part of PART 1: WHAT - Use of Complex Text. 



Do you need close reading resources to get you started in your classroom? Check out the resources below by clicking the "Purchase Here" button! 

 

   




◄ Newer Post Older Post ►
 

Copyright 2011 Young Teacher Love is proudly powered by blogger.com