My poor boyfriend.

My boyfriend (of eight years) and I currently live together, and have been living together for the past two and a half years (from day 1 of my teaching career). He is truly wonderful, and understands (for the most part!) what goes into this teaching career. I am very lucky.

One thing (and it's ONLY ONE THING) he doesn't understand is why we have to spend our teeny tiny paychecks on school supplies for our students. Or maybe he just doesn't understand why I do it to this degree...


(sorry for the poor i-phone quality)


...or maybe it's because I drag him around to every Staples, Office Max/Depot Teacher Appreciation Sale and embarrass him due to the scene I create when I tell them I am a teacher, and I WILL GET 25 NOTEBOOKS!!! NOT THE LIMIT OF 5!!! OH AND ARE YOU SURE ITS JUST 25? I AM EDUCATING YOUTH, CAN'T YOU MAKE AN EXCEPTION FOR ME AND ALLOW ME TO BUY 100 PLEASE??!!! Then awkwardly glare at the sales associate as he/she rings up every individual folder, as I then check the price on the register, then continue to re-check the receipt. Oh and don't you worry, I will be back tomorrow to get 25 more!!!! (maybe this is why he get's so weird about school supply shopping?)


We are not supposed to give out a list that says this is what you need in terms of classroom supplies. We are supposed to just casually mention supplies that are needed, but supply them on an as needed basis. We can't require our students to go out and buy anything.

There are always a few students that go above and beyond with their 12 pink, purple and blue gel pens. Then there are a few with the hot new Katy Perry or super cute 'kitten in a basket' glossy duo-tangs, all locked into those MASSIVE zipper Trapper Keepers that I DESPISE! I am forever grateful for those students and their parents.

Now, I am very sensitive to the fact many of my student's home lives are tough. I know this, and my kids know I love them and am here for them through those hard times. But is it horrible of me to think that at least SOME of my families could purchase SOMETHING??? THEY CAN PROBABLY AFFORD A $0.40 composition notebook from Walmart, or shoot $0.15 folders from Target? No Walmart or Target? HOW ABOUT THE DOLLAR STORE??!! Just 1 pencil? PLEASEE??? (crickets...)

Oh well...for now. Here is what is taking over our cute home. Well...that is only one room. It's getting bad around here. In fact...as I am typing this, I am planning my route of attack on Staples $0.10 composition notebooks.
 Yes. That is over 200 color coordinated duo tang folders in our front room. This was after the LOVELY Office Max worker "lifted" the 25 per teacher rule, specially for me. Only rule he had...you can't buy all 2,000. Dang! ;)
◄ Newer Post Older Post ►
 

Copyright 2011 Young Teacher Love is proudly powered by blogger.com